Friday, October 21, 2011

"Weekend"

                                                         

We have made it to another Friday!

Another "weekend".

Weekend is in quotes because, for those of us in the collegiate sports world, the word "weekend" is a misnomer.

"Weekend" implies the work week has ended.

Not so fast, my friend...

For many of us, the work is just beginning!

For instance, my day today will be spent assisting CBS Sports with their setup operation going on in Tiger Stadium, as the 19th-ranked Auburn Tigers come to town to face the Number 1-ranked LSU Tigers tomorrow at 2:30.

Cox Sports Television will also begin its setup later today in our stadium.

At 6:00pm tonight, we will show a motivational video to our team on the videoboards in Tiger Stadium.

The team will then head to its hotel for the night; I will finally head home after another long day.

Hopefully I will be the first one in line at my local voting station tomorrow morning before 6:00am to vote for my favorite politicians.

Or maybe to vote AGAINST my not-so-favorite politicians !

Then it's back to Tiger Stadium to get ready to work my 275th LSU football game since 1989 !


Tomorrow's game will end sometime around 6:00pm - but by the time we shoot and edit our coach's weekly television show - Inside LSU Football - my crew and I will finally leave the stadium sometime around 10:00pm.

Just another 15 hour workday on a "weekend"!

Then it will be back to LSU on Sunday morning to get ready for a 1:00pm volleyball match, which our crew will produce for the videoboards in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.

So, for us, the "weekend" will actually not begin until around 4:00 on Sunday afternoon!

I am in the midst of my 23rd season at LSU Athletics and it has definitely been an interesting ride.

I have been fortunate to have been a part of 2 football National Championships (2003 and 2007), as well as 6 baseball National Championships (1991, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, and 2009).

And, if things continue to go well for the Tigers, I just MIGHT get the opportunity to be a part of yet another football National Championship this season!  

Despite the long hours - and all the nights, weekends, and travel - I really can't complain.

I graduated from LSU in 1980 with a Broadcast Journalism degree and I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to work in the sports world for most of my career.

As they say, it beats digging ditches!

Hmmmm...I wonder what ditch-diggers say...??

Until next time...Geaux Tigers !!

No comments:

Post a Comment