Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Weekend

For the first time in quite awhile I'm looking forward to the weekend.  Yes, the LSU baseball team opens its SEC season at home with a big series against Arkansas - but I'm not working! 

I do have plans though.  My Better Half and I are planning to clean our storage room, which is a chore we tackle a couple of times a year.  For some reason our storage room is a junk magnet.  And when you have 6 grandkids, all of whom live within a few miles of your home, you can imagine some of the stuff that collects in the storeroom.

Strollers, car seats, jump ropes, bicycles, scooters, miniature cars, etc.  However, I can't blame ALL of the junk on the grandkids.  SOME of what has collected a large quantity of dust since the last time we cleaned the storeroom is ours.  Tools, scrap lumber, leftover tiles, paint, and other assorted goodies left over from our recent home restoration project are just a few of the items I find myself tripping over every time I venture into the storeroom.

All of it just sitting there waiting for us to find it a new home - whether that means in the garbage, at the landfill, or simply in a new corner of the store room.

So that's what awaits us this weekend...

Last weekend was a different story.

Both our daughters/sons-in-law had plans last weekend. Plans that didn't necessarily involve all of their kids. Plans that called for MiMi (My Better Half) and Paw Paw (that's ME) to help out.

But I was working all weekend. It was a home baseball series, so at least I wasn't out of town. All the same, that meant MiMi was called into action.  Now don't get me wrong:  MiMi is always willing to help out and we always enjoy spending time with our grandkids.  But at our age, they definitely wear us out !

So on Thursday afternoon, 9 month-old Carson came to visit for the weekend. Carson is absolutely a Sweetheart!  Carson has also just learned to crawl. So he's not quite as easy to "watch" as he used to be. The good news is that, at this point, he's still a slow-motion crawler, so it's not like he's going to disappear when your back is turned!


Later that afternoon, 7 year-old Kaleigh made the scene. She was going to spend the night, which meant that Paw Paw had to take her to school on Friday morning. Not a big deal because her school is just a few miles down the road.

So on Thursday night we all pitched in - Kaleigh included - and fixed her lunch box for Friday. Carson sat in his walker and watched as we prepared bologna, Cheese Nips and Fruit Rollups, and packed Kaleigh's lunch box.















Carson and I took Kaleigh to school on Friday morning (well, Carson actually just sat in his car seat and chattered while I drove), then we went home and waited for MiMi to get home from work so I could go work LSU's baseball game.


Then on Saturday, Kaleigh had a birthday party to attend. So MiMi packed up both Kaleigh and Carson, buckled them into their car seats, and headed off for the party, while I went once again to the baseball stadium to work another ballgame.

The party's theme was "Pampered Princesses".  Now, mind you, these are 7 year-old girls being pampered like teens getting ready for their senior prom!

Manicures, pedicures, facials and makeup!  Are you kidding me???  For 7 year-olds???

I do know that Kaleigh had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed being pampered for a day.  And in our eyes, she is definitely a princess - so I guess it makes sense after all.

On Sunday, I once again made the trip to the baseball stadium for another LSU baseball game. And late that afternoon our daughter Allyson and son-in-law Jimmy returned to town and picked up Carson.

I assure you MiMi was worn out - but, as I said, we most definitely enjoyed spending time with Carson!

So, this weekend is reserved for some long-overdue spring cleaning. 

When it's all said and done, we might wish we were watching our grandkids instead of cleaning out the store room!

Until next time...


2 comments:

  1. From Stacey: I wish I had a MiMi and PawPaw close by. My boys would would have wanted to go see all those LSU baseball games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's true! They could have taken MY place!

    ReplyDelete